Spring is the official start of wedding season. Buying a gift, finding an outfit, and traveling to the wedding can start to add up quickly. The Michigan average cash gift is $104 and the national average is $160, according to wedding-registry website Tendr, based on data from the 2016 wedding season.
We’ve got some tricks to help you attend weddings without breaking the bank:
Split your Travel or Accommodation Costs:
- Sharing a car, taxi, and even hotel room with some other wedding guests can dramatically cut costs.
- Skip the hotel suggested by the couple. Instead search for cheaper alternatives such as Airbnb.
Buy the Gift Early:
- You can also subscribe to email or mailing lists from the store’s that the couple registered. You can be the first to know when the store is having a sale and you can snag the perfect gift at a discounted price.
Shop The Registry Gifts Elsewhere
- There is nothing wrong with finding the identical registry item at other retailers. If you do buy the registry item from a discount retailer such as Amazon, be sure to have the store remove the item from the registry so someone else doesn’t purchase the same gift.
Recycle or Rent an Outfit
- You do not need a new outfit for every wedding that you attend. You can freshen up something you already own with some accessories and different shoes to create a whole new look.
Get One Staple to Wear for Every Wedding
- If you do opt to get something new, make it a staple piece. Invest in a quality suit jacket or sturdy heels that you can re-wear.
Don’t be Afraid to Say No, Respectfully:
- Just because you were invited does not mean you have to go. If you aren’t close to couple and honestly can’t afford the cost, just say no. Be sure to send your RSVP back and let the couple know as soon as possible.